UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63360  
Subject: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 12:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
<snip>The study determined the following IQs of each president as accurate to within five percentage points:

147 Franklin D. Roosevelt (D)
132 Harry Truman (D)
122 Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
126 Lyndon B. Johnson (D)
155 Richard M. Nixon (R)
121 Gerald R. Ford (R)
176 James E. Carter (D)
105 Ronald W. Reagan (R)
98 George H. W. Bush (R)
182 William J. Clinton (D)
91 George W. Bush (R)
<snip>

Full article:
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2008/12/iq_scores_of_us.ph...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15949 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 12:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
<<176 James E. Carter (D)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
>>

Frankly, I think the results of this article are absurd.

Assuming the two above were accurate, the only thing it would suggest is that achievement in the Presidency is inversely related to IQ.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15950 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've never held too much stock in IQ scores or what they tell you about people's inherent abilities. I'm even more skeptical of indirectly derived IQ scores like this. But I would be very interested in seeing a comparison of the raw data they used. They give us only a hint:

Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President GW Bush, his low ratings were due to his apparent difficulty to command the English language in public statements, his limited use of vocabulary (6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words for other presidents), his lack of scholarly achievements other than a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work which could be studied on an intellectual basis.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15953 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 5
Among comments made concerning the specific testing of President GW Bush, his low ratings were due to his apparent difficulty to command the English language in public statements, his limited use of vocabulary (6,500 words for Bush versus an average of 11,000 words for other presidents), his lack of scholarly achievements other than a basic MBA, and an absence of any body of work which could be studied on an intellectual basis.

I was watching CNN last week when they were discussing what role in public life George W. Bush would have after his presidency. The liberal commentator said he didn't see Bush writing any op-eds on the issues of the day. Even the conservative commentator chimed in saying "Bush probably won't write a book -- or even read one."

intercst

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15954 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Even the conservative commentator chimed in saying "Bush probably won't write a book -- or even read one."

What is thus 'book' you are speaking of?

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15955 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 3:04 PM
Recommendations: 6
As much as I think W. is an idiot, this is yet another ridiculous chain-email hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.asp

- Gus

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15956 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 3:36 PM
The Doonesbury take on this is better than the dumb fake article:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020630211835/http://www.doonesb...

Seattle Pioneer

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15957 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 3:48 PM
You could tell it was hand-massaged BS by who had the high IQs and who ahd the low IQs. People with "a story to tell" send that stuff out because they know a certain % of people will fall for it, word gets around, if youre lucky it might even eventally be considered fact or at least blow past people without challange. Right Wingers do the same thing. Tell stories, maybe even based on some facts, but mostly hand massaged BS designed to create psuedo knowledge" and pseudo truth in people's minds

Author: DavidWiseman One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15958 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 4:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<176 James E. Carter (D)
174 John F. Kennedy (D)
>>

Frankly, I think the results of this article are absurd.

Assuming the two above were accurate, the only thing it would suggest is that achievement in the Presidency is inversely related to IQ.

I can certainly believe the Jimmy Carter has that high of an IQ. After all, he's a nu-cu-lar engineer, no? The Kennedy one -- who knows?

I work with some incredibly smart people. They can derive equations and do research like nobody's business. But they've sometimes been put in charge of projects, and have run them into the ground. High IQ certainly doesn't equate with good management skills. But low IQ certainly doesn't, either, as we've found to our detriment lately.

Dave

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15959 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 4:56 PM
"Bush probably won't write a book -- or even read one."

Oh, I think a Bush book will be published, but it'll be ghost-written or have the "By W (with x-name)" by one of his fanatic followers. Say, oh, Robert Novak or Cal Thomas or, glory be, I'm a genious, Ann Coulter!

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15962 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 5:19 PM
"Bush probably won't write a book -- or even read one."

Oh, I think a Bush book will be published, but it'll be ghost-written or have the "By W (with x-name)" by one of his fanatic followers.

i expect ghosted ...no "w/ _____"

he's got followers fanatical enough they won't let their egos get in the way.

-

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15963 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 5:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
As much as I think W. is an idiot, this is yet another ridiculous chain-email hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/presiq.asp

- Gus

And it is not even a new chain-email hoax. Based on SAT scores Bush's IQ is estimated to be around 110.

Bush's problem isn't that he is dumb, it is that he isn't intellectually curious. He just doesn't care enough to examine his positions to see if he is right or wrong. At the end of his first term he was famously asked if he could think of any mistakes he made. He couldn't think of a single one. It just doesn't occur to him to view the world in any manner other than the way he already sees it.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15966 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/5/2008 6:55 PM
Oh, dear!

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15978 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/6/2008 12:19 PM
I can certainly believe the Jimmy Carter has that high of an IQ. After all, he's a nu-cu-lar engineer, no?

No.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15992 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/7/2008 4:57 PM
intercst: " Even the conservative commentator chimed in saying "Bush probably won't write a book -- or even read one.""

If OJ can 'write' a book, then GW can 'write a book'. Ghost writers are readily available.....and Ms Bush can write a book.

Yeah..we got AL Gore and the global warming scam...with him in business to profit off his own artificial scare mongering.....heck, he flunked 3rd grade science and now Gore is trying to convince folks on this? He doesn't have a clue.

Jimmy the Peanut Farmer might have been very 'intelligent' but he didn't succeed in doing much other than having the worst inflation in memory.....and a rotten administration as far a memorable accomplishments...... let's see...what do I remember...? his brother? this fishing escapade........ ?

t.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16177 of 63360
Subject: Re: IQ scores of US presidents Date: 12/28/2008 10:12 AM
Anyone who reads this "Presidential IQ" chain mail and believes it could be true probably isn't very intelligent.

Look, folks, an IQ over 160 is exceedingly rare. IQ's in the 170s and 180s are about as rare as snowflakes in San Antonio.

Its highly unlikely that ANY President had an IQ even approaching 170. I'd believe that the more intelligent Presidents may have IQ's in the 140s or 150's- but its a HUGE leap from 150 to 170+ (the scale is logarithmic, not linear).

By the same token, I guarantee no President had an IQ below 100. The average college grad has an IQ over 110. By way of comparison, the average MD will have an IQ in the high 120s. Since every President in recent history has had, at a minimum, a baccalaureate degree (and usually from an elite institution), its highly unlikely that any President had an IQ under 110.

So anyone believing any President (even one you disagree with) has an IQ below 100 is a fool. Anyone believing 3 recent Presidents had IQ's in excess of 170 is also a fool.

Another point- IQ is a measure of ability to learn, its NOT a test of knowledge. President Bush seems to have minimal intellectual curiosity- you could say he seems to be willfully ignorant. That does NOT mean he has the IQ of a potted plant, it just means he doesn't use the brains he was given.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement