Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ndragani Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19409  
Subject: IRA 72t distributions Date: 1/11/2000 2:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need the benefit of your collective knowledge please.
I retired in April 99 at age 57. We set up a 72t from my IRA rollover, we kept enough in money market to fund the 72t.I will need to fund the 72t again.
Question is what is the most beneicial way to fund the 72t. I can sell some stock, mutual fund or UIT's. Do I want to do this on a monthly basis, that seems to be rather costly in broker fees. Sell a stock or UIT that is not doing well, that could fund me for 6 months or 1 year. The mutuals are doing pretty well, and I don't think I want to take money from something that is making money, I'm sure I read that somewhere on MF more than once. Am I on the right track with my thinking?. If so one of these days I'll be confident enough to give up my broker ( although I do have confidence in him) and do it myself with the help of the fool . Thanks
Norma
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1455 of 19409
Subject: Re: IRA 72t distributions Date: 1/11/2000 4:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Norma, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I need the benefit of your collective knowledge please.
I retired in April 99 at age 57. We set up a 72t from my IRA rollover, we kept enough in money market to fund the 72t.I will need to fund the 72t again.
Question is what is the most beneicial way to fund the 72t. I can sell some stock, mutual fund or UIT's. Do I want to do this on a monthly basis, that seems to be rather costly in broker fees. Sell a stock or UIT that is not doing well, that could fund me for 6 months or 1 year. The mutuals are doing pretty well, and I don't think I want to take money from something that is making money, I'm sure I read that somewhere on MF more than once. Am I on the right track with my thinking?. If so one of these days I'll be confident enough to give up my broker ( although I do have confidence in him) and do it myself with the help of the fool . >>

FWIW and IMHO you appear to be on the right track with your thinking. To continue 72t withdrawals as required, you must liquidate some of your holdings. To me, it makes sense to start with your lower performing investments first. And, to minimize your trading fees, it also seems to make sense to do so all at once rather than on a monthly basis to keep your costs down. All in all, I think you're thinking things out and proceeding along the most beneficial path to you.

Regards..Pixy

Author: leroydavis1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1660 of 19409
Subject: Re: IRA 72t distributions Date: 1/20/2000 12:34 AM
Recommendations: 0
By taking a single 72T withdrawal each year, you can invest your IRA balance a little more aggressively -- you won't have to concentrate on month to month performance.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement