UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rspires One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: IRA and 401(k) Distributions Date: 9/22/1999 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Over the past months I have been impressed by the participants to these Boards. The information on IRA and 401(k) Distributions (before and after age 59 1/2) was most helpful to me. And I think I also understand the 3 options available for Minimum Required Distributions (MRD) at 70 1/2. However, maximum is never discussed! Question: Is their any upper limit on taking Distributions, after 70 1/2, (other than the obvious one of running out of money before your death)? Must distributions be annual, monthly, etc. as long as they exceed in total the MRD for the tax year? I thought I read, someplace over the past years, of some restrictions, do they still apply? Thanks for your timely response.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JDWinNOLA One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13999 of 75335
Subject: Re: IRA and 401(k) Distributions Date: 9/22/1999 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not an accountant or lawyer, but as far as I know there is no limit on what amount you remove once you are over 59 1/2. You can remove 100% on the day you turn 59 1/2. You have to pay income tax, but no other penalty. All the restrictions are on not removing enough after age 70 1/2.

Jim

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14001 of 75335
Subject: Re: IRA and 401(k) Distributions Date: 9/22/1999 1:54 PM
Rspires asks:

<<Question: Is their any upper limit on taking Distributions, after 70 1/2, (other than the obvious one of running out of money before your death)? Must distributions be annual, monthly, etc. as long as they exceed in total the MRD for the tax year? >>

Those who reach age 70 1/2 must take minimum required withdrawals. Nothing precludes them from taking more than what is required. And the withdrawals may be taken in any fashion (i.e., weekly, monthly, quarterly, lump sum, etc.) just as long as the minimum is taken on or before 12/31 of the year in which it must be withdrawn.

Regards..Pixy

Author: hvyevy2 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14007 of 75335
Subject: Re: IRA and 401(k) Distributions Date: 9/22/1999 4:18 PM
No upper limit that I know of. Only limitations are the MRD and the tax implications.
he2

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement