UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: stocks2grow Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75810  
Subject: IRA confusion Date: 10/30/2009 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am thinking of taking a 401k (don't work there anymore) and putting it into an IRA. I've heard you can have the 401k company do a trustee to trustee transfer (rollover), but that it takes awhile to get them to do it. I also heard that in order to make things happen faster, you can also have the 401k plan send you the proceeds in a check and you have 60 days to deposit it into the newly created IRA. Is that correct?

Also, I'm deciding which type IRA to start (Roth vs Traditional), so a few questions:
1. The inital amount you put in there to start the IRA is not subject to the annual contribution limits, right? In other words, the new IRA can be started with all the funds from the 401k and that can be more that the annual limit of (?) $5000,right?
2. With a traditional IRA, if you are subject to a contribution phaseout window due to income amount, can you still contribute, but NOT claim a deduction? Alternatively, can you contribute to the tradtional IRA, and then rollover the non-deductible amount to a Roth IRA?

Thanks,
Mike
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement