Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Recently I went to work for the feds and have access to a plan that is sort of like a 401, called a Thrift Savings Plan, but my only fund choices are all index funds.

1)I'm allowed to contribute 14% ($5762) this year and 15% ($6174) in 2005 to the TSP. 2006 is limited to IRS annual limits. I know the limits vary between 401/403/457 plans, but I cannot find anything for the limits for TSP?

2)My agency will match up to 5% of my salary into the TSP. Does the matching contribution count toward the IRS limits?

3)My wife contributes 13% ($6630) to a 403(b) and is matched by 7% by her employer. What is the max she can contribute? We're happy with her funds and are not wanting to make any changes here.

4)If I contribute the max allowed into TSP, can I still contribute to a traditional IRA and get the tax benefits? The literature I got from the TSP is a little vague.

I became increasingly fed up with the poor results and high fees of the mutual funds that my previous employer allowed me access to in our plan and I am not particularly thrilled with placing my entire retirement into index funds, especially in light of this commentary about index funds… http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/2004/commentary04072001.htm. I'm contributing to the TSP to get my free money, but I would like to maximize my contributions into a traditional or Roth where I have more control and selection.

Basically, I'll be contributing 5% per year (the $$ amount will go up with raises) + 5% match. My wife will continue to contribute 13% + the 7% per year (also increasing with raises). How do we get the balance of what I want to contribute ($7000 per year) into a traditional or Roth IRA thru some combination of accounts in my name and/or hers?

Stay safe-

Talbot
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement