UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heffe44 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75777  
Subject: ira contributions Date: 11/20/1999 2:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
new poster here and i have what i think is a simple question. i am currently helping a friend with investments (someone who actually knows less than me!)who stated that his accountant said he could not invest in a traditional ira because he is fully invested in his 403b and earns approx. 140,000/yr. i thought that anyone could invest in a traditional ira irrespective of income (just perhaps not tax deductible) thanks in advance for clarification of this issue

heff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15537 of 75777
Subject: Re: ira contributions Date: 11/20/1999 1:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Heffe44, and welcome. You wrote:

<<new poster here and i have what i think is a simple question. i am currently helping a friend with investments (someone who actually knows less than me!)who stated that his accountant said he could not invest in a traditional ira because he is fully invested in his 403b and earns approx. 140,000/yr. i thought that anyone could invest in a traditional ira irrespective of income (just perhaps not tax deductible) thanks in advance for clarification of this issue>>

You friend's accountant was probably referring to a fully deductible traditional IRA. Those are limited by one's participation in a qualified retirement plan, income tax filing status, and adjusted gross income. But as long as your friend is younger than age 70 1/2 and has the earned income, he may always contribute to a nondeductible traditional IRA. Have him visit our IRA area at http://www.fool.com/Money/AllAboutIRAs/AllAboutIRAs.htm or my Foolish Retirement Plan Primer at http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm for details.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement