UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: smdiss Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76621  
Subject: IRA contributions for 2000 Date: 2/22/2001 5:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I'm aware that IRA contributions can be made for tax-year 2000 up through April 16 of this year. My question: is it still possible to make contributions if you've already filed for 2000? The IRA account is presently a regular one, but we'd like to convert to a Roth asap.

If we convert in the next month, then we pay the tax involved when we file for 2001, right? But what if we convert say on March 15, then are we able to still make additional contributions for 2000?

I'm new to IRAs (and investing!) and am actually unable to start my own IRA because I work abroad and claim exemption for my foreign earned income. So it's all a bit unclear to me. I am trying to sort out these issues together with my fiancé, about whose IRA I am writing.

Thanks for any feedback ...

- smdiss
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

A Board that Makes You Think
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.