Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This is not specifically about taxes, but I saw many questions in the FAQ about IRA's.

My wife and I each have a ROTH IRA along with a traditional IRA which is in my name. I did the calculations and decided to convert our traditional IRA to a ROTH. I converted $5000.00 in 2000. This went into a brokerage account set up as a conversion ROTH IRA. There was a specific application for a conversion IRA. I will convert the last $8000.00 in 2001.

My questions are:

1) Can I just convert the traditional IRA money into one of our ROTH IRA's or must it go into the "conversion IRA account"?

2) Once it is in the "conversion IRA", can I transfer the funds to my wife's or my ROTH IRA? I have reasons for wanting to get this money into my wifes ROTH IRA.

Thank You in advance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.