UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: madbrain Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 201  
Subject: IRA conversion and SEPP taxes Date: 2/21/2010 7:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This year I made converted a traditional IRA to Roth. The balance was $18,600. $18,000 of which were non-deductible contributions for the last 4 years. I understand I will be paying tax on $600 for the privilege of the conversion. One question I have is, given the market conditions the last 4 years, I might very well have had an investment loss at conversion time, though in fact I ended up with a small gain. Would I then be entitled to take a deduction on my 1040 for the loss at conversion time, if the total traditional IRA balance converted is less than the sum of non-deductible contributions ?

I ask this because I wonder about future years, in which I intend to continue to make non-deductible contributions to my traditional IRA, and then convert them to Roth, since I'm not allowed to directly contribute to a Roth due to income limitation. I'm wondering if I should invest in the traditional IRA contributions in something risky before converting the contributions to Roth. I don't mind paying the taxes on any investment gains each year when converting, as long as I can take a loss too if it doesn't do well.

But a simpler strategy might be to contribute to the the traditional IRA and convert right away if possible, and then the gain/loss would be close to zero, but I'm not sure if a delay is necessary when converting contributions. I just don't like the idea of annual contributions sitting for 1 year in a money market fund before conversion.

My next question is about taxes on SEPP withdrawals. I plan to start taking SEPP from my Roth and 401k around age 50-55. Hypothetically, it's possible that I would have an investment loss in the Roth if I do very poorly in it investment wise. When taking withdrawal from a Roth, is any hypothetical investment loss deductible ?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement