No. of Recommendations: 0
I have an IRA in a gold fund that has lost a significant percentage of the original investment in the last 17 years. It has dropped to the point where I cannot even transfer it to another of United Services' funds. Can I simply sell out of this and take a deduction against other income in the way one would for any other long term loss? Original investment was 4,000 dollars. Current value is under 700 dollars.

R. Harris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.