UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jciloa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5748  
Subject: IRA Distribution from an Estate Date: 5/15/2000 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is my first ever post. I have read, studied and learned much from reading the MF boards over the last few months. A big thank you to everyone that participates. Here's my situation and questions:

My wife has inherited 1/4 of an IRA (non Roth) from the passing of her father. The current value of her share is about $138,800. Her father's account is with Merrill Lynch. He was 76 and had begun taking distributions. The assets are mostly in stocks with a couple of thousand in cash. My wife's mother is also deceased. The Merrill Lynch broker said that the life expectancy for distributions would be based upon the life expectancy of my wife's oldest sibling who is 49. A distribution was already taken this year by her father.

My questions are: 1. Is there any condition in which we would want to take a lump sum distribution and pay the tax? 2. Should we choose to "annuitize," will the Merrill Lynch guy want us to set up a special IRA account for distribution purposes? If setting up an account is necessary, can we do that at whatever brokerage we choose? 3. Would the securities remain in the account and can the account be actively managed?
Thank you! I will be excited to get replies.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement