Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arahfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: IRA Distribution question Date: 6/1/2002 9:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
On a joint account, do both joint owners have to be 59.5 to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7939 of 19257
Subject: Re: IRA Distribution question Date: 6/1/2002 9:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Greetings, Arahfool, and welcome. You asked:

On a joint account, do both joint owners have to be 59.5 to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty?

I think you are confused. There is no such thing as a "joint account" in an IRA or a qualified retirement plan. The "I" in IRA stands for "Individual," so there is only one owner, and that owner is the one who must be 59 1/2 to avoid the early withdrawal penalty in the absence of any distribution exception such as "substantially equal periodic payments (SEPP)."

Regards..Pixy

Author: arahfool Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7940 of 19257
Subject: Re: IRA Distribution question Date: 6/1/2002 1:04 PM
I asked:
"On a joint account, do both joint owners have to be 59.5 to avoid the 10% early withdrawal penalty?"

TMFPixy responded:
I think you are confused. There is no such thing as a "joint account" in an IRA or a qualified retirement plan. The "I" in IRA stands for "Individual," so there is only one owner, and that owner is the one who must be 59 1/2 to avoid the early withdrawal penalty in the absence of any distribution exception such as "substantially equal periodic payments (SEPP)."

Regards..Pixy

I tend to be confused a lot, it keeps people from bothering me <g>.
The confusion for me is that the 'account' (Fidelity Advisor, 8+ yrs) is labeled 'joint' though I don't know the context. I of course intend to contact them Monday for clarification.

Thanks,
arahFool

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7941 of 19257
Subject: Re: IRA Distribution question Date: 6/1/2002 6:02 PM
In our joint brokerage account, our IRAs are listed as part of our joint total assets for information only, but each of us has a separate IRA which is also listed on the statement. Maybe that's what yours is----I hope that's the case.

Carol

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement