UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: shesdangerous Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122  
Subject: IRA Help Date: 7/23/2009 9:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm 28 years old and my employer doesn't offer a 401K. I've got a traditional IRA with American Century, but I'd rather manage my investments myself and I've got a few questions before I pull the trigger.

1. Can I close my American Centruy T-IRA take that money and put it into a Sharebuilder Roth IRA account without paying taxes on it?

2. If I can do that, what happens if I want to sell a stock in my Roth IRA Sharebuilder account? Can I sell it and leave the profits in the account or do I have to buy another stock or etf with the principle & profits? I guess what I'm trying to say is can I manage my investments in the IRA account the same way I would manage them in a standard online brokerage account or do I have to keep the stocks I purchase until I'm 59.5 yrs old?

I could really use some advice on this. I just don't know what to do and I don't want to get eaten alive by Uncle Sam when my time comes!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.