UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sasden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: IRA investing Date: 4/25/2000 9:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What are my investing opportunities with an IRA account? ( mutual funds, bonds, index fund, money
market ) Are stocks an options?

Let say I opt for mutual funds, are my selections
for a mutual fund based on whom the account is
opened?

How do I determine with whom I open the account?

Any good reading on these basic type of questions?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21519 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA investing Date: 4/25/2000 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What are my investing opportunities with an IRA account? ( mutual funds, bonds, index fund, money
market ) Are stocks an options?

Just about anything except foreign land and collectibles. But you have to find a custodian willing to take charge of the assets. Most custodians just do the traditional stocks'n'bonds.

Let say I opt for mutual funds, are my selections for a mutual fund based on whom the account is opened?
Bingo. If you open your IRA and Vanguard, you can only buy Vanguard funds; if you open it at Schwab or E=Trade, you have a huge selection of funds (but you'll pay marketing fees in order to get into them). Most places let you buy someone else's funds, but will charge you a flat fee commission to do so.

How do I determine with whom I open the account?
Your first choice is to determine what you want to buy. If you don't have a personal preference, find someone whom you trust and ask their opinion. (A lot of people say buy an index fund, but it really depends on your own situation and preferences.)

Any good reading on these basic type of questions? The Fool has an IRA center -- check the Quick Find menu that's on every page of the Fool website.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement