UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mec Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76406  
Subject: IRA investment limitations Date: 2/3/1998 9:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am in grad school and have recently married. My wife has some assets in an IRA account through a retirement package with her former employer. I have little experience with IRA investing and have rolled the money into an S&P 500 index fund. Besides mutual funds, where am I allowed to put this money? Is there anyway to create a situation where I can invest in individual equities without compromising the tax benefits? Any educational thoughts are welcomed.

mec
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1611 of 76406
Subject: Re: IRA investment limitations Date: 2/3/1998 2:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Mec, and welcome.

<<I am in grad school and have recently married. My wife has some assets in an IRA account through a retirement package with her former employer. I have little experience with IRA investing and have rolled the money into an S&P 500 index fund. Besides mutual funds, where am I allowed to put this money? Is there anyway to create a situation where I can invest in individual equities without compromising the tax benefits? Any educational thoughts are welcomed.>>

The IRA is not the investment. Instead, it's a way of investing on a tax-deferred basis. The investment itself may be anything ranging from a bank CD to shares of stock you buy in the marketplace. You can buy almost anything for the IRA the broker sells. If you wish to trade stocks, then you want to establish what's known as a self-directed IRA with a broker of your choice. All brokers know how to transfer monies from existing IRAs to this kind of IRA. Just contact yours, and that agency can guide you through the process.

Regards…..Pixy

Author: mec Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1615 of 76406
Subject: Re: IRA investment limitations Date: 2/3/1998 4:41 PM
Thanks for the info Pixy.

mec

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement