UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BillKi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: IRA Limitations Date: 4/19/2000 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have been putting 14% of my income into my company's 401K managed by Fidelity.

I have now accepted a new job with a different company. I do not qualify to participate in their 401K for a year.

I plan on rolling my current 401K into an IRA so that I can invest in other things.

I currently have a Roth IRA and have invested the max for this year.

I wish to continue investing 14% (or more, got a nice raise) for my retirement.

The question is where?

I understand that I am limited to $2000 per year for an IRA, so where else can I put it?

Do I invest in stocks? That is what I want to do, but wanted to delay the taxes like in an IRA or 401K.

What are my choices?

Thank you
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21357 of 75381
Subject: Re: IRA Limitations Date: 4/19/2000 1:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You could get a variable annuity--preferably from a low cost provider such as Vanguard, Fidelity, Scudder, TRowe Price and others. Fools don't like them because of all the restrictions, the fact that those sold by insurance companies and many others have high surrender charges and front end fees. However, you would enjoy the same tax deferred benefits with no restrictions on contributions as from an IRA or 401K.

Better would be to invest in taxable accounts but with a tax minimization strategy. Long term buy and hold of Rule Maker stocks is one of the bests. Otherwise, tax managed mutual funds and index funds would be good choices.

Author: BillKi Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21359 of 75381
Subject: Re: IRA Limitations Date: 4/19/2000 1:30 PM
>> Better would be to invest in taxable accounts but with a tax minimization strategy. Long term buy and hold of Rule Maker stocks is one of the bests. <<

That's what I am thinking of doing in the absence of any good tax deferred options.

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement