Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
I am a consultant, sometimes paid by W-2's, sometimes by 1099.

I have had an LLC in the past, but not now.

Vaguely apeaking, I understood that with a corporation, you could set aside as much money as you choose into a tax deferred IRA; with W-2 wages, it is limited ($13,000 pa, plus $3000 pa non-working spouse).

How can I increase (above the $13,000 limit) how much I can tax defer?

For example, if I have some W-2 wages, and some 1099, could I put some of the W-2 money aside also, in addition to 1099 income?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.