Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
New to MFB and my first post.
If this is not the correct board, sorry, and would appriciate correct link.

I am retired and currently receiving Minimum Required Distribution (MRD) on my IRA.
I have established a Special Needs Trust (SNT)for an adult son. It is a Qualified Trust. The beneficiary of my IRA is the Trust. The beneficiary of the SNT is my son. Currently I am taking the MRD's based on my life expectancy.
Questions:
1. At my death, will the MRD be based on the life expectancy of my son, (currently age 35), continue at my withdrawal rate, or based at some other rate?

2. Will the MRD amount, (approx $35-40K per year currently) be taxes at the Estate Tax rate (pray not!!), or at my son's tax rate. The funds will still be controlled by a trustee for the benefit of the son, and will be used in accordance with rules to protect Medicaid and SSI. As I understand the rules, if the amount of MRD payout received is used for items approved by SSI rules, (Items other that food and Housing), the income would be considered income to the son, and taxes at his rate.
Thank you for any guidance. I have read back thru the last three months postings and don't see any related questions so hope I am not totally on wrong board.
SeniorCit
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement