UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rajkumar Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75820  
Subject: IRA money for first home Date: 4/2/1999 8:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello All -

We are planning to withdraw money from my IRA towards down payment for our first home. I understand that the limit is $10000. Is this limit per person or if my wife is a joint owner of the house, can she too use upto $10000 from her IRA leading to a total of $20000?

Thanks for your response.

Isaac
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9647 of 75820
Subject: Re: IRA money for first home Date: 4/3/1999 9:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Isaac, and welcome. You asked:

<<We are planning to withdraw money from my IRA towards down payment for our first home. I understand that the limit is $10000. Is this limit per person or if my wife is a joint owner of the house, can she too use upto $10000 from her IRA leading to a total of $20000?>>

The once in a lifetime use of $10K for a home purchase is an individual limit. Therefore, both you and your spouse may use your own IRAs to take up to $10K each ($20K total) for this purpose. Bear in mind that you will pay income tax on the amounts taken, but no penalty.

Regards..Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement