Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: IRA Q Date: 12/19/2012 10:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm retired and get SS. My wife works part-time, grossing around $45K, and she's covered by a qualified plan at work. Can I contribute $6K to my IRA and deduct the $6K in calculating our AGI? Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117159 of 121095
Subject: Re: IRA Q Date: 12/19/2012 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm retired and get SS. My wife works part-time, grossing around $45K, and she's covered by a qualified plan at work. Can I contribute $6K to my IRA and deduct the $6K in calculating our AGI?

As long as you're under 70 1/2 and file a joint return, probably. Same is true for her, probably. See Pub 590, Chapter 1 for the phaseout ranges and how to calculate MAGI. (The phaseout range is different for her.)

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 117161 of 121095
Subject: Re: IRA Q Date: 12/19/2012 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Phil.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement