UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: digrat Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76390  
Subject: IRA Question???? Date: 9/20/2000 10:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband and I will have our contribution percentage maxed out on our 401k soon, but would like to do some additional saving for retirement. We are young, and just got into this, so we don't know all of the rules. So, I need some help.

First, we have an IRA which resulted from a Master Retirement Plan and 401k rollover. I was wondering if we added to this if we could deduct the money from our taxes. I didn't know if we could deduct this if we were already contributing to a 401k.

Also, we were thinking about opening a Roth IRA. My husband is the only one working. Since I don't have an income, can we only contribute $2000 a year, or can we contribute $4000. I've also heard that you can only contribute to a Roth or a traditional, but not both.

My husbands work also puts away SEP funds for him. I know that we had to open a brokerage account for these and that we handle them, but I didn't know if we could add to these, or if they had to be kept separate. I don't even know how the taxes work on these.

My last question has to do with our son. He is all of 8 months old, but we would really like to start putting some money away for him. I looked up things on Educational IRAs, but the contributions are very limited, and it makes it so you can't take advantage of the Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Credits. It also has a lot of stipulations that I am not sure if I am willing to deal with. Are there any great suggestions for saving for a college education?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement