No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a TSP (which is a government 401K) plan that I contributed to for a few years. I separated from the military, so I cannot make contributions to it anymore, and want to roll it into an IRA. (I could just leave it and let it grow, but I'd rather put it into something I can work with)

I am opening a traditional IRA through my bank (because that's the only thing I can roll my TSP into) and my investment options are confusing.

I have my choice of a fix-rate CD, a variable rate CD or a money market account. I thought IRA's were put into stocks and funds.

What gives?

Also, how can I make monthly contributions into a 36 month CD?? It doesn't make any sense.
Yes, I have a disclosure statement, but it seems to assume I already know what I'm doing.

I went to the Fool IRA section, but it was just ads for brokers.

Can anyone clue me in? I'd appreciate it.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.