Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I turn 65 1/2 next June. I'm going to need to use some of my conventional IRA money to pay taxes this year. I recall someone telling me that one can take money out of a conventional IRA and replace it within 90 days (as in the case of a transfer) without penalty. I believe this can only be done once a year.

It occurs to me that I may be able to take a premature disbursement, replace it in June (when I wont be subject to the premature penalty) and immediately take a distribution without penalty. I may need a swing loand for a few days, but that's still cheaper than the 10%.

Thanks and regards,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.