Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: art2art Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122084  
Subject: IRA recharacterizations Date: 3/29/2001 1:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I rolled over a cash retirement fund from work into a traditional IRA with Webb St. last July, and immediately recharaterized it as a Roth conversion IRA, before trading stocks with it. I later (2 months) transferred it to Datek and continued trading stocks, and lost much of it over several months. Then on Dec. 6 of 2000, I recharacterized it back to a traditional IRA, and on Jan. 11, 2001, recharacterized it back again to the Roth conversion IRA. Do I only pay the income tax on it per the value on Jan.11, 2001, as a distribution from the trad. IRA to the Roth, and do so for the tax year 2001 and not this tax paying year (2000)?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Munger and Buffett Wisdom
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.