Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19026  
Subject: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 2:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Every day my IRA is getting smaller faster than the Incredible Shrinking Man and I am required to take a minimum distribution before the end of the year. Ouch!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13972 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 3:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Every day my IRA is getting smaller faster than the Incredible Shrinking Man and I am required to take a minimum distribution before the end of the year. Ouch!

good question.

i Believe that amount of the RMD is based on value of IRA on Dec.31st

-b
..... luckily for me, mine's not shrinking THAT fast.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13973 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 3:35 PM
That's Dec. 31 of the previous year so he gets a large RMD in 2008. He'll have to take a lot less in 2009 unless the market turns around.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13974 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 3:41 PM
That's Dec. 31 of the previous year so he gets a large RMD in 2008. He'll have to take a lot less in 2009 unless the market turns around.

ouch!

did not know that.

=

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13980 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 6:41 PM
I am required to take a minimum distribution

If you're old enough to take distributions, your IRA should be mostly in safe fixed income investments.

Just IMO.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13982 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 7:36 PM
mendoman: Every day my IRA is getting smaller faster than the Incredible Shrinking Man and I am required to take a minimum distribution before the end of the year. Ouch!

I feel your pain, literally, not sympathetically. We can at least roll it over into a taxable account (after paying our 2008 taxes.)

cliff

Author: drippinfool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13984 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/17/2008 9:52 PM
"...safe fixed income investments."

Jeez, these days how can you be sure what's safe?

-drip

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13985 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/18/2008 6:10 PM
Jeez, these days how can you be sure what's safe?

Good point. Here's one:

http://www.etftopics.com/treasury-etf/

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13986 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/18/2008 6:59 PM
If you're old enough to take distributions, your IRA should be mostly in safe fixed income investments.

Yes, a portion of it is, but I do have stock mutual funds to allow for growth as a hedge against inflation.

Author: mendomann Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13987 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/18/2008 7:00 PM
We can at least roll it over into a taxable account (after paying our 2008 taxes.)

This is true.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13988 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 3:49 AM
I wrote: If you're old enough to take distributions, your IRA should be mostly in safe fixed income investments.

mendomann wrote: Yes, a portion of it is, but I do have stock mutual funds to allow for growth as a hedge against inflation.

My Reply:

I'll bless that. I did say "mostly". I plan to fight inflation by buying plenty of IPE.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13989 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 10:49 AM
I'll bless that. I did say "mostly". I plan to fight inflation by buying plenty of IPE.

--------

What is "IPE"?

AM

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13993 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 6:23 PM
What is "IPE"?

SPDR Barclays Capital TIPS ETF (AMEX:IPE)

Took a mild hit over the past six months. A bargain now IMO.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13995 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 9:03 PM
<AM> What is "IMO"?
</AM>

8^)

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13996 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 9:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
<AM> What is "IMO"?
</AM>

A new Federal regulatory agency that John McCain misidentified or made up?

Author: ChurchyLaFemme Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13997 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 9:43 PM
<AM> What is "IMO"?
</AM>

8^)

Why, Cliffie, that would be Imperial Oil. ;^)

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=imo

Churchy

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13998 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 10:52 PM
<AM> What is "IMO"?
</AM>

8^)

-------------------

Dear Cliff,
KYOA

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13999 of 19026
Subject: Re: IRA Required Minimum Distribution Date: 9/19/2008 10:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
What is "IMO"?
</AM>

A new Federal regulatory agency that John McCain misidentified or made up?

-------------

LOL!
That man is a complete idiot.
Wandering around in a stupor.
Who is he?
Where is he?
Does he know?
Heh.

Can he find his own ass with both hands in his pants?

Somehow....I doubt it.

AM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement