No. of Recommendations: 0
IRA stands for INDIVIDUAL Retirement Account. So I don't think you *can* combine your IRA with hers! You *have* to keep them separate.

If you are both working, and both earning more than $2,000/year, you can each continue to contribute to your IRA's, just as you have done before.

If one of you stops working, then the other's IRA can be turned into a "spousal IRA" and the working spouse can contribute $2,000 into the working spouse's IRA and the non-working spouses IRA, assuming the working spouse makes more than $4,000/year.

But the accounts *still* need to be maintained as separte accounts, even if you cannot contribute to them anymore, and just let them sit there, accumulating interest, until retirement.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.