Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I asked this question on the Tax Strategies board, but received no answer. I'm hoping someone here may know.

Here goes.

As I understand the new tax law, between 2002 and 2006 there will be a 50 percent tax credit available for IRA contributions up to $2,000. This credit will be available to couples with an AGI beneath $30,000, or singles below $15,000. Between $30,000 and $50,000 (or $15,000 and $25,000) there is a phaseout.

My question is this: Can both husband and wife claim the credit? In other words, if each contributes $2,000 or more to an IRA (the limit increases next year), can each receive the credit (up to $2,000 total)?

Does it matter if the couple files jointly or separately?

So far, the closest thing I've found to an answer is this:

The credit is available to individuals who are 18 or over, other than individuals who are full-time students or claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer's return.

This seems to imply that both might be eligible--I think. But it isn't very specific.

Does anyone know more about this?

I would be grateful for any additional information.


Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.