Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've looked through the FAQ for this site but haven't found anything that would answer my question.

Beginning in 1977 and continuing through 1989, I made voluntary contributions to my money purchase pension plan and/or to my profit sharing plan. In 1998, I converted these plans to a regular IRA. As it stands presently, the voluntary contributions amount to 4.27% of the market value of my IRA.

Beginning this year, I start withdrawals from my IRA. Fidelity will send the IRS a 1099 after the end of this year showing the amount of my withdrawals. I assume I will report on my individual return 100% of the amount shown on form 1099. QUERY: (a) where do I deduct the 4.27% for the amount that was a voluntary contribution, (b)Will the IRS just accept my statement as to what I contributed as voluntary contributions, and (c) Of course the percent each year will be different. Do I just recalculate the percent each year and use that?

Thanks in advance for your considered replies!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.