Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So this year, due in good part to a large capital gain, my wife and I will likely be unable to contribute direction to Roth IRAs.

I know there's the option to contribute to a non-deductible IRA and do a conversion, but I have a problem with that. That's beucase I have a fairly large Rollover (Trad) IRA (originally from an old employer's 401K), which means that most of my conversion would actually be taxable because of the total Rollover IRA + Non-Deduct IRA balance.

However, I've been considering rolling my Rollover 401K back into my existing employer's 401K. I was consider this anyway as part of simplifying/reducing my accounts, and my current 401K has some nice low-cost index options.

At this point my question might be obvious, but... if I roll my Rollover IRA into my 401K, could I then - in the same calendar year - contribute to a Non-deductible IRA and convert it tax free to a Roth IRA? Or would I have to wait until the following calendar year?

I believe - looking at form 8606, that the answer would be yes - but before I go forward with something like that, I wanted to see if anyone on here had a different opinion or any words of warning.

P.S. I don't think it will make a difference, but my Rollover IRA to 401K conversion looks like it would have to happen via check & not direct (my current 401k custodian looks like they don't support direct trustee-to-trustee transfers).
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement