No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm not sure if this board is the appropriate venue for this question, but if not, perhaps someone can point me to the right place.

First, I have read the FAQ and looked at the conversion caluculator page--it was not particularly helpful.

What I am looking at is the possibility of converting a Rollover IRA into a Rollover Roth IRA. I understand that there will be some tax consequences and that I will probably have to deal with sales commissions.

My IRA is currently invested in stock--quite a bit of it in the tech stocks that have been heavily hit this past month. Most of the current holdings are actually short term holdings--most purchased in Dec. or Jan. of this year. Some of my stocks have appreciated so I probably should hold back on moving them at this point. However, I have taken a major hit in stocks like MSFT. I would like to know if and how the current drop in price would affect the tax bite of doing a conversion.

Here are the major questions I have:

1. I am assuming that I will have to sell the current holdings and repurchase in the new ROTH account. Can I treat this as capital gains losses, or would I have to simply show the whole amount remaining as taxable income?
2. Would the fact that these stocks are short term holdings be a major impediment?

I know I will have to make a decision as to how to cover the taxes. As I would prefer to pay them up front without touching the rollover amount, it is essential that I understand how these issues will affect the amount I will have to cover.

Oh, yes, I expect my age may make some difference as well. I will be 59 next month. Barring the unforeseen, I do not expect to retire before at least 65, and may continue working until 70, as I enjoy what I do.

Any insights from fellow Fools would help.

Thanks,
rositze

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement