Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: hlcamp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: IRA to Roth: Form 8606 Date: 1/23/1999 7:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I converted my traditional IRA into a Roth IRA in
December 1998. I did not make any further investments in the traditional IRA, nor did any further investments go into the Roth for the 1998 tax year. The
traditional was since closed out and the Roth will take
its place...

I was trying to figure out how to put the distribution
(trustee-to-trustee, in this case the same trustee) of
the funds onto the 1040 form using Form 8606. I started out by reading it and came to the conclusion that the first part of the form (Part I of 8606) didn't apply. So, I started filling in part II.

I entered the full transfer, say 5,000 as an example (Note: this amount will represent the market value at transfer)in line 14a. 14b was 0, 14c was the 5k again. Line 15 came to be 0 from my understanding. 16 came to the 5k amount again. 17 was 1/4 of this amount. And this amount (1,250) went into 1040 line 15b,
taxable amount. Here is my question:

I had contributed and deducted from my taxes the
traditional IRA for the prior years. However, I had NOT deducted the amount paid in in 1998. Thus, it appears I am not only getting no deduction from this amount, but then having to turn around and get taxed twice for it, once in my gross Wages, Salaries... and again when I put it in line 15b. I understand the notion of paying taxes upfront with the Roth and therefore not getting the deduction, but something is not right about paying
taxes twice, as the way I am doing it implies. Please
let me know what the CORRECT way to do this. This way CANNOT be right!

Should part I of the form be used in my case? The IRS said I needed to adjust my income on line 23 of 1040 by the amount contributed in tax year 98. But they did not say much else in their reply... I think part of the contribution to the old IRA might not be deductible either. They then followed by the general rules for converting to the Roth. Not very helpful.

Help?

Thanks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement