UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DavidHenderson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: IRA to Roth IRA ? Date: 5/11/1998 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a rollover IRA and a recently opened Roth IRA. I have been contributing to my rollover IRA for quite a few years. For three years back in the late 80's, I contributed to my rollover IRA with after tax dollars since I was not eligible for the write off.

I want to take these after tax dollars out of my rollover IRA and put them into my Roth IRA. In this way, there is a clear distinction between my rollover IRA which has all before tax contributions and my Roth IRA which has all after tax contributions.

My broker said I need to take a distribution from my rollover IRA and then deposit this into my Roth IRA. I do not want to pay tax on this money twice. How do I do this and complete my taxes correctly. Dave
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.