UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JeffWRS Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: IRA to Roth IRA Conversion Date: 8/24/1998 10:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know that these questions must have been answered many times, but I have been away from the message boards for a while, and this subject has become important recently. I had a retirement account that I have rolled over into an IRA, and I have not made any further contibutions to it. I have just started working for a large corporation, and would like to just convert the current IRA into a Roth IRA, and in future years continue to fund it with $2,000/year. (I realize that in one information sheet that I have from E*Trade that you can't make any further contributions in the current tax year of conversion.) But my question is actually based an a call with E*Trade: I was told that, once converted, that you can't make ANY further contributions to the account. Is this something dealing with the five year rule? Or some other rule that makes contributing to the account a problem? Or is this just E*Trade's way of making you open multiple accounts for more commissions? Or... Is it true that you can't make any more contributions? I would like to keep things fairly simple - My current job's retirement, and one self-directed account. IF future contributions are not possible, I'd like to (and I know that this will generate some heat...) just roll the current IRA over into my current employer's 401(k), and just start a seperate Roth IRA on my own. (One minor benefit is that the 401(k) retirement age is 55 as apposed to 59 1/2). I am 36 years old, (more that 10 years from retirement) and would pay for the income tax resulting from the conversion out of other funds. Please give me some Foolish insight... Thanks
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement