UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dougkennedy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: IRA to SEP-IRA Date: 11/30/1999 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm a little new at this and search the archives for some info and could not find the answers, so here goes. I bought an IRA earlier this year through Fidelity. I later discovered that I would benefit from a SEP-IRA (being self employed). Can I roll over/transfer my IRA into a SEP-IRA? If not, do I max out my contribution to the IRA, and then reduce my maximum contribution to the SEP by $2,000?
Thanks for the info, Doug K.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15764 of 75381
Subject: Re: IRA to SEP-IRA Date: 11/30/1999 8:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Call Fidelity and tell them you have self-employment income and would like to make your IRA into a SEP. They will send you the forms and it is done. No need to open a different account or move things around. I did this with Fidelity and it was smooth. Chris

Author: TonySteele Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15832 of 75381
Subject: Re: IRA to SEP-IRA Date: 12/2/1999 11:17 AM
My impression is that you may fund your IRA competely (up to $2000) and also fully fund your SEP-IRA up to max of $24,000 based on $160,000 of income. Isn't this true?

Tony

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15835 of 75381
Subject: Re: IRA to SEP-IRA Date: 12/2/1999 12:00 PM
Greetings, Tony, and welcome. You asked:

<<My impression is that you may fund your IRA competely (up to $2000) and also fully fund your SEP-IRA up to max of $24,000 based on $160,000 of income. Isn't this true?>>

Yes, that is true. However, chances are the $2K contribution will not be deductible because the SEP contribution is considered like a qualified retirement plan for that purpose. If covered under such a plan, then IRA deductibility depends on one's filing status and adjusted gross income.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement