UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: trex88 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: IRA Vintage Date: 10/11/1997 11:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The Vintage refers to the deferred tax type of IRA:

For what it's worth. I double checked this with an IRS rep.
With a self-direct IRA, the money is considered as a "one lump" amount...if you care to buy and sell stock within a short period of time, you are only taxed when you take regular payments out, using rate on tax table for income only.
Hope this doesn't turn some of you IRA Fools into day traders.

trex
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 458 of 76079
Subject: Re: IRA Vintage Date: 10/11/1997 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Trex, and welcome to Fooldom.

<<For what it's worth. I double checked this with an IRS rep.
With a self-direct IRA, the money is considered as a 'one lump' amount...if you care to buy and sell stock within a short period of time, you are only taxed when you take regular payments out, using rate on tax table for income only.
Hope this doesn't turn some of you IRA Fools into day traders. >>

I'm puzzled why you were concernd at all with trades within an IRA or why you would have thought withdrawals from a deductible IRA would be taxed in any other way. And FWIW, the same applies to withdrawals from a 401K, too. Roth IRAs will be a great improvement over both because all growth will be untaxed when withdrawn. Depending on circumstances and because of capital gain rates, a taxable investment is often better as well.

Regards.......Pixy

Author: trex88 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 460 of 76079
Subject: Re: IRA Vintage Date: 10/12/1997 1:42 AM
About the other IRA, etc.: Good to know.
I am not exactly puzzled now. When I turned the IRA into a self-direct, many of these questions surfaced. Just thought it might help someone new out there.
trex

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement