UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Mudster1 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: IRA vs. Annuity? Date: 3/15/2002 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Perhaps I should have used the subject header: Tax deferred vs. Taxed investments. I currently invest through an annuity plan at work (403b, pre-tax, my employer does not match funds). I am not crazy about the range of funds offered by the company I deal with, but I have few options. The company I deal with appears to be the best option I have in terms of a 403b.
Assuming I am in the tax bracket of someone with an adjusted federal income around 55 grand per year and I have $3600 to invest per year (for the purposes of this example and because my wife's retirment options are not the same as mine), would I be better off taking the money post tax and putting $3000 into a Roth IRA (12 monthly payments of equal amounts on 1st of month) and putting the other $600 into a stock index fund (let's use the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund), or continuing to invest in the annuity pre-tax? In the annuity, I am invested in a stock index fund, a mid-cap index fund and a conservative bond fund. When I take money out of the annuity at retirement, I will have to pay 1.5% of it to the company.
I can't predict what the annuity earnings will be, but I do not believe they will match the s&p 500 index over the coming years based on past performance (and the fee). For purposes of this, let's be optimistic and say the return will be 8% before fees.
Let's base this on 23 years until retirement.
By retirement, I may be in a higher tax bracket based on investments, but I may not, as I don't expect my salary to grow that much (I am a teacher). I won't jump up more than one bracket.

I'm just going to admit here that I don't have the accounting savvy to figure this out on my own, at least not with complete confidence. If anyone can help me compare the two options, I would be very appreciative!
This is not my only retirement savings/investment, but this will help me decide if this pre-tax savings is really saving me money.
Thanks for your help!
Mudster1
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement