UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: angrob Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/21/2000 6:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm 29, have 17,000 in credit card debt and 14,500 in an IRA. Should I use the IRA $ to wipe out the credit card debt, pay the fees and start over with the IRA, or is that a bad idea?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: cfdunton One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26733 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/21/2000 6:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
That's definitely a bad idea! You would not only pay income tax on the money you take from the 401k but a 10% penalty as well.

If at all possible, leave the money where it is and pay off your credit card debt out of income. Put yourself on a budget and concentrate on the credit card until it's paid off. And don't use it any more.

I know that sounds pretty hard to do but you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Good luck!

Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26734 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/21/2000 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
To rob your IRA to pay off credit card debt is a horrible idea.
You'd pay taxes, 10% penalty, and maybe state taxes as well. Therefore, maybe you'd get half the amount you took out for paying off debt.
You'd give yourself the message that it would be all right to charge 'em up again. After all, with one fell swoop you paid it off, right? WRONG!
To get rid of debt it shouldn't be easy. You have to budget, snowball, bring it down month by month. You can call your companies and ask for lower rates. You can creatively do balance transfers (watch out for up-front balance transfer fees).
Hands off the IRA and pay your credit cards the old fashioned way!
Best of luck, Chris

Author: Grateful2476 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26735 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/21/2000 6:40 PM
Here's a great link to kind of go along with the great opinions already. To pay off the cards you will need a behavior change, not a "windfall" of sorts.

Best of Luck

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=13917876

Author: memupp Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26745 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/22/2000 11:52 AM
Also: check out the Consumer Debt/ Credit Card discussion board here at TMF (listed in "Managing Your Finances").

Good luck!

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26802 of 74759
Subject: Re: IRA vs. credit card debt Date: 12/27/2000 10:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
I am in the process of paying off a credit card myself. Do not rob your IRA, rob your lifestyle and make adjustments.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement