Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dons2300b Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121112  
Subject: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know if a person can start an IRA at the age of 15?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15323 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 1:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
dons2300b: You wrote, "Does anyone know if a person can start an IRA at the age of 15?

I am no expert, but I have never heard of a minimum required age, but the person whose account it is must have earned income and may have some difficulty opening a brokerage account because minors are generally presumed incompetent to contract.

Hope this helps. Regards, JAFO

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15325 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 2:08 AM
dons2300b writes:

I reply:

Yes, as long as the person has at least as much earned income as he or she contributes to the IRA. --Bob

Author: dharmadollars Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15327 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 9:05 AM
Re JAFO's observations: "What he said!"

Even though you may not be able to put money into the market because of broker/dealer restrictions, set it aside. In a couple of years you will be able to. This way you will have accumulated a lump sum to start with. The "lost" growth from not being able to invest in the equities markets now will disintegrate into insignificance when compared to the growth that the lump sum will generate once you can put it in the market.

By the way, since you will be filing your own tax return and probably claiming a standard deduction, give strong consideration to establishing a Roth IRA. That vehicle will compound the future purchasing power of your withdrawals in the out years.

Congratulations on your serious pursuit of this endeavor at your age. I'm having difficulty getting people 3-4 time your age to demonstrate your maturity.

Regards--dharmadollars

Author: TaxService Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15328 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 11:03 AM

Yes!=:) Even a child of less than one year in age may have an IRA. The only condition for a traditional or Roth IRA is that you have income from employment or self-employment. The maximum amount one can put into an IRA, in any one year, is $2000. In order to put the maximum in, you must have earned at least that much from employment. If one earns less than $2000, the maximum one may put into an IRA is the amount one has earned.

"Jack"

Author: PackySmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15333 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/7/1999 4:15 PM
If you have earned income at age 15, you can start an IRA.

Author: dons2300b Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15373 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/9/1999 12:47 AM
Thanks to all who helped me with this question. And no, I'm not 15. I have two, teenage children. One has two soda machines, the other has two candy machines. I let them install them in my company's building. I am using them to teach them about bussiness. They have paid for the machines, own their inventory and now have some cash from profits. It's time to learn about investing. All their profits will go into the market. Their spending money comes from working at a part time job. Thanks again.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15390 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/10/1999 12:03 PM
Yes!=:) Even a child of less than one year in age may have an IRA.

How can a child less than one year of age have an earned income ?

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15391 of 121112
Subject: Re: IRA (when can you start) Date: 5/10/1999 12:20 PM
Markr33 asks:

<<How can a child less than one year of age have an earned income ?>>

While it's rare, it's possible. My grandson was only six months old when he earned his first $1K as a model in a commercial. He ain't the only baby that happens to be as fortunate.

Regards..Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement