Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: chuckmortensen Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121482  
Subject: IRA withdrawal for first time home buyer Date: 3/3/2009 11:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just read in IRS Pub 590 (2008) that IRA withdrawals are penalty free up to $10,000 when used for the purchase of a first time home for yourself, your spouse, your child, grandchild, or parent. My wife and I have often discussed helping our children buy their first homes and it is one of our investing objectives. My question is: is the $10,000 limit per homebuyer? We have 2 children. Could my wife and I both withdraw $10,000 each for each child to buy their first home when the time comes (a total of $40,000)? When we bought our first home ten years ago I withdrew $2500 from my IRA for closing costs. Pub 590 states that "when added to all your prior qualified first-time homebuyer distributions, if any, total qualifying distributions cannot be more than $10,000." Is that a lifetime max per IRA holder? Or a lifetime max per homebuyer? A lifetime max seems strange since a first time homebuyer is defined as someone who hasn't owned a home in the past 2 years. When my 8 year old is ready to buy a house, will the IRS still have records of my home buyer withdrawal 25 years prior and will it limit what I can give him?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 104940 of 121482
Subject: Re: IRA withdrawal for first time home buyer Date: 3/3/2009 11:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Pub 590 states that "when added to all your prior qualified first-time homebuyer distributions, if any, total qualifying distributions cannot be more than $10,000." Is that a lifetime max per IRA holder?

Yes.

Phil

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement