UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jesserivera67 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: IRA/401k/trust Date: 9/6/2003 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Looking for some tips on my portfolio.

401k - $40k
IRA - $40k
Wife's IRA - $6k
Trust - $4k

I'm 35 years old and am pretty gutsy. All the accounts above are in equities (100%) since I've got about 30 years until retirement I figure I should be in good shape. The trust is also tax deferred and a benefit from my job.

I'm maxing my 401k and the two IRA's and putting an extra $6k a year in the trust. I could be doing more in the trust but not sure if I should put all my eggs there as I'm not sure if I can roll it over if I leave.

I'm pretty diversified and a huge Vanguard fan so my wife and my IRA's are there. I've split my money across multiple fund families, large/small growth/value and international large/small cap growth/value with some emerging markets in there. Here's the breakdown of the Vanguard IRA's:

Value Index
Vanguard 500
International Value
Small cap index
International Explorer
Developed Markets
Emerging Markets
Small cap value index

The 401k looks something like this. The pickings are not good but the company is matching 100%:

Davis NY Venture Fund
Merrill Lynch Fundamental Growth Fund
Merrill Lynch MidCap Index Trust
Templeton Foreign Fund

The trust is in a money market fund since I'm researching funds at Merrill Lynch and they seem to only want to give me the ones with the highest fees. They're telling me that through the trust the funds are purchased at NAV but there will always be management fees and 12b-1's. I agree with the management fees but not with his 12b-1 comment.

I've also got a little savings tucked away in a tax exempt intermediate term bond fund.

I'm looking to make close to $90k a year when I retire but haven't quite worked out the numbers. Can someone out there point me in the right direction or at least tell me that I'm completely on crack with the above???

thanks!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement