UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75641  
Subject: Re: New law needed for 401k Date: 10/8/2007 2:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
IRAs were available then, too. And we did start ours in our 20s.

Now you're jumping to several different arguments. Your original statement that I responded to was specifically about 401Ks being available 30 years ago to every 25 year old.

As for IRA's being available, of course they were, but the contribution limitation was low $1500 IIRC, and the investment choices were limited (mostly CDs). (And just for the record, I started mine in my 20s also.)

As for non-tax-deferred accounts, such as brokerage accounts, keep in mind there were no 'on-line' or 'discount' brokers 25 years ago. One would probably have been better off putting the money in a 1% savings account, at least that way the broker wouldn't have milked you for whatever remained in your account after his losses on the investments. '-)

Or, one could have purchased CDs.

For the truly worried about retirement, there were public jobs with pensions - teaching, state and Federal employment.

Even in today's information-rich environment, do you currently know many 25 year olds who are "truly worried about retirement"? Most of the ones I know have just graduated college and are still sponging off their parents.

2old
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement