UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1928  
Subject: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 5:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So far, so good, please let that continue...

GSF, Central NJ.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFCop Big gold star, 5000 posts Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1885 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 6:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A lotta rain in northern NJ, winds only just picking up, but we've got some time yet before we're in the thick of it. Still have power too, which is surprising since it seems every time someone sneezes around here the power goes out.

Rich

Author: AcctgToITandBack One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1886 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 7:08 AM
Same here. They say there are lots of power outages, but so far all is well here. I just looked outside and there aren't any trees down that I can see.

Only thing is, I ended up staying up all night. I was about to go to sleep when a tornado warning was announced for my area. I don't have a basement so I ended up trying to sleep downstairs on my sofa with the TV on. Then there was a second tornado warning plus a tornado watch until 5:00 am. No tornado here, but that was the end of my attempt at sleep. I ended up getting up at 2:30 am. It is now 7:00 am and I've already done all my web surfing for the day, read the newspaper, had breakfast, cleaned my kitchen, played with my cat. Things seem to have calmed down a bit outside so I think I may try to get some rest now...zzzz.

Gina, Central NJ

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1887 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 11:31 AM
We're good here.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1888 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 2:52 PM
Lots of rain all night, just too much to drain away.

1 branch down. But it became windy this morning and continues so.

jC, from the West

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1889 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 4:04 PM
Let's see. When Floyd came through, the Raritan River flooded and Bridgewater and Manville were both under water. The water plant was flooded out, so water supplies were limited for a while.

Star-Ledger is reporting lots of flooded streets, evacuated communities and closed highways.

Sounds like a good day to stay home.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1890 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 4:38 PM
Let's see. When Floyd came through, the Raritan River flooded and Bridgewater and Manville were both under water. The water plant was flooded out, so water supplies were limited for a while.

The Raritan will crest at just two feet below Floyd's level. Manville and Bound Brook are both a mess. Bridgewater doesn't have nearly the issues, though I'm sure the circle, etc. have some problems. From what I was seeing from JCP&L, Bedminster and Somerville had a ton of outages, which I'm sure is causing issues.

I took a four-mile walk around 1PM, saw a ton of debris, but very few downed trees. And fortunately, I haven't lost power. And the sewers seem to be down enough that I can run my water again without fear of opening up the check valves (one at street, one in the house) and opening the floodgates.

All in all, I'm very, very lucky. Bergen County got hit pretty hard, my parents are up there. Down trees in Teaneck, Hackensack is flooded in all the usual places and then some, and they're still losing power in places up there even within the last hour or so.

GSF
... lucky this time...

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1891 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/28/2011 6:04 PM
Both ours and my Mom's house only suffered the usual branches and leaf mess in the yard. We live close to atream and with the high water table, our sump pump did its job. No basement water thankfully.

Author: scoopshot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1892 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/29/2011 11:37 AM
Bergen County. Lots of friends without power, we were spared.

We lost a tree that fell across the street, blocking traffic. We called it in and the response team was here amazingly fast, 5 minutes, and had it chopped up in 20.

Lots of flooding around here. The Bergen Record has many pictures of people being carried from their homes by firemen.

Beautiful day today, though!

Author: BobbysPapa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1893 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/29/2011 12:33 PM
Atlantic County- It wasn't too bad where I am, and my relatives down in Ventnor say they didn't get it bad either. We lost power for about 13 hours, but it appeared to be pretty local, as just a mile or two away from us in all directions they had power. There was a tornado warning at about 9:15pm for an area about 1 mile away from us, so we were in super-worried mode for a bit, but then the threat passed and we went to bed. We slept through the worst of it, and now it is smooth sailing....

Mike in NJ

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1894 of 1928
Subject: Re: Irene Roll Call Date: 8/29/2011 6:15 PM
The Delaware was supposed to peak around 2PM. It didn't.
A local radio programed confirmed my eyes still work, and the crest is expected around midnight tonight.

jC

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement