Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My aunt moved permanently into a nursing home this year. In order to pay for it, she was required to set up an irreversable trust. Each month she pays all her income, short what Medicare says she doesn't have to pay herself, into that trust. She then pays from the irreversable trust the balance to the nursing home that Medicare doesn't pay.

It cost her $700+ in lawyer fees to set up this trust.
She figures that this expense SHOULD be deductable, and I concur. I just don't know HOW/WHERE to document it so that it would be.

Suggestions? Guidance?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.