Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: YewGuise Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123486  
Subject: Re: 1099 "Misc" Question Date: 2/25/2012 11:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...IRS Form SS-8 ...

I looked through it, and it's quite detailed. Although some cases fall into grey areas, the general concept is:
- For part-time, summer, or other temporary situations, it's OK (and common) for the worker to be an IC (independent contractor). My kids both got 1099-misc's from some of their summer & holiday jobs.
- If the worker freelances for more than one employer, s/he's an IC.

So, in general, if a worker is full-time and permanent with one employer, s/he should be an employee, not an IC. Sometimes businesses, to save money, bring in workers as IC's when they should be hiring them as employees. This is illegal. More info:,,id=173423,00.html,,id=99921,00.h...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.