Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I recently received a penalty notice from the IRS for a total of $500.00. The code listed was 32, penalty for filing partnership return late, form 1065 for tax period 5-31-98. I did file form 1065, April 15, 1999, for the tax year from 1-1-98 to 4-98 and checked on that form that this was the final filing, partnership ceased doing business in April 1998. Also when I applied for an EIN from the IRS in 1998 the letter I received stated that the next filing for form 1065 was no later than 4-15-99.

I called the IRS and told them I did not understand why the penalty and explained the situation, but the person I talked to said it was the computer and that I had to write in concerning this, which I did, filing form 843 for abatement of pentaly. I have not yet heard form the IRS and the penalty due date is nearing, what do I do pay and fight to get it back? Any advice concerning this would help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.