Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dacpdc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: IRS rulings Date: 1/21/2000 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have looked at the United States Court Web site for a specific tax ruling and was unable to find it. Only info I have is that it concerns a medical deduction and it is: Rev. rul 55-261,1955-1 C.B.307;Pvt.Ltr.Rul.8137085. Appreciate any help in finding what this states.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25656 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/21/2000 12:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
dacpdc: "I have looked at the United States Court Web site for a specific tax ruling and was unable to find it. Only info I have is that it concerns a medical deduction and it is: Rev. rul 55-261,1955-1 C.B.307;Pvt.Ltr.Rul.8137085. Appreciate any help in finding what this states."

Try this URL:

http://www.taxlinks.com/

I do not recall if PLRs are available online.

Hope this helps. Regards, JAFO

Author: Taxslave One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25686 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/21/2000 3:20 PM
The revenue ruling 55-261 should be available online.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25697 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/21/2000 4:38 PM
<< I have looked at the United States Court Web site for a specific tax ruling and was unable to find it. Only info I have is that it concerns a medical deduction and it is: Rev. rul 55-261,1955-1 C.B.307;Pvt.Ltr.Rul.8137085. >>

Rulings are IRS issuances, which is why you can't find anything at a judicial website.

Rev. ruling 55-261 is on page 307 of Volume 1 of the 1955 Cumulative Bulletin. I don't know about online, but you could find the CB's in a law library.

Like the other responder, I don't know if Private Letter Rulings are available anywhere online.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25699 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/21/2000 4:48 PM
Like the other responder, I don't know if Private Letter Rulings are available anywhere online.

Hope you don't mind my sharing "more than I know" about this subject ...

The person I depend on for tax advice has such access -- via "Checkpoint", at <http://www.riatax.com/>. After looking over the site for 5 minutes or so, I can't figure out the price(s) -- I don't think there is an option for a (small) charge per document -- looks more like a (medium to large) charge for a permanent account... but I'm guessing.

Just trying to share,
Phooley

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25741 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/22/2000 3:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<The person I depend on for tax advice has such access -- via "Checkpoint", at <http://www.riatax.com/>. After looking over the site for 5 minutes or so, I can't figure out the price(s) -- I don't think there is an option for a (small) charge per document -- looks more like a (medium to large) charge for a permanent account... but I'm guessing.>>

Right...that's one of the services that I use. And you can only access that section of the RIA web site unless you are a "member" or subscriber to their service.

I know of no tax site where you can "eat what you kill" (in that...you only pay for limited access). As far as I know, it's an all or nothing deal.

I'm sure that, in the future, there will be such sites where you can pay $20 (or so) and get a few minutes of access. But I don't know of any right now.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: notatwork Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26112 of 121144
Subject: Re: IRS rulings Date: 1/26/2000 9:01 PM
Private letter ruling 8137085 concerns food and beverages for specific ailments. It is specifically cited in J.R. Newman, (DC) 68-1 USTC.

The cost of special foods was disallowed in this case since it represented the cost of foods which normally took the place of those normally consumed.

You can obtain copies of these ruling through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). I think they normally run about $1 a page (not positive). You can get the information by contacting the IRS and requesting the Disclosure Office. I don't know of any place that an individual is going to get most of this information on-line, without spending a lot.

You really don't give enough information to know what part of the code to research. Code 213 is pretty good sized.

I'm sorry this is so long. Hope it helps.

Sherry

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement