Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pepsidoodle Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: IRS said I couldn't Date: 2/17/1999 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This ROTH IRA is driving me crazy!!!
I am single, contributed (not converted) $2,000 to a Roth IRA in 1998 which, in turn, had a 61.5% gain in 1998. My 1998 AGI was about $107K. I also have a 401K plan with my employer.
I called the IRS & asked them about "reconstructing" the entire amount into a regular non-deductible IRA and was told I couldn't do this because of my earnings & because I have a 401K plan with my company.
I'm at a total loss on how to handle this. Do I just rescue what I can & leave it in the Roth, using the phase out method? If so, what do I do with the $2K that was already taxed? What about the gain? If I have to sell the stock, will the gain need to be applied to 1998 taxes?
I hope someone can understand my confusion & help me through this mess. I'm not sure if I've even covered all the issues.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement