Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's one for the books....(mine anyway):

It became apparent last year (1998) that my 1994 Federal return was...ummm.... not 100% accurate. I found this out after the IRS sent me a "bill" for something in the nieghborhod of $31,000.

Once the nitro took affect, I called my accountant and he "re"did my return (I did the original back in '95).
According to his calculations, and based upon the information from my return (the original), he determined (and I immediately agreed) that the IRS actually owed ME $850.

Shortly after submitting this "corrected" return, I was advised by the IRS that because there was a more than 3 year "gap" (1995 - 1998), they were not recognizing the amount due as it was past the three (3) year statute of limitations.....

Is anyone else as surprised to hear this as I was? Aside from contacting my Congressman, any thoughts as to other avenues that might be available to me?

What troubles me most is the IRS is the partt that RAISED the issue to begin with... MORE than 3 years late(r).

I'm interested in hearing another perspective.....

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.