Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone (Mr. Marti?) know how to make comments or suggestions to the IRS? And does it do any good?

I'm really interested in making some suggestions relative to their forms, their procedures, and their stated desire to receive and process data via e-files. But darned if I can figure out who to talk to! I really can't find a sensible address, either in their publications or on their web site. I want to write a letter, not send email. I don't think the so-called Taxpayer Advocate is the right guy, as I'm not currently engaged in a tax hassle (well, other than doing my return...).

So - has anyone ever done anything like this? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Lorenzo
Print the post Back To Top
Does anyone (Mr. Marti?) know how to make comments or suggestions to the IRS? And does it do any good?

I'm really interested in making some suggestions relative to their forms, their procedures, and their stated desire to receive and process data via e-files. But darned if I can figure out who to talk to! I really can't find a sensible address, either in their publications or on their web site. I want to write a letter, not send email. I don't think the so-called Taxpayer Advocate is the right guy, as I'm not currently engaged in a tax hassle (well, other than doing my return...).

So - has anyone ever done anything like this? Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Yes, you can do this. I don't know specifically who you should contact (I imagine each of your issues will be directed to a different person or office), but one place to start is here:

http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/index.html

One or more of the links on this page may provide you with more information.

Ira
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does anyone (Mr. Marti?) know how to make comments or suggestions to the IRS?

There was a time when I could have given you names for specific things, but since I've retired they've reorganized at least twice, and even the people who still work there don't know what's going on. The 1040 instructions used to have an address for forms suggestions, but I see they've now replaced that with a request for e-mail or web submissions.

The Advocate is really not a bad person to write to. Her job is twofold: dealing with problems and improving the system. If you prefer, just write to the Commissioner of Internal Revenue. For either, the address is

1111 Constitution Ave NW
Washington, DC 20224

Phil
Thanks Phil, and Ira. The "professionals" page that Ira pointed me too had some good looking leads, which I'll pursue. And probably I'll write to the Advocate too, with a cc the Commissioner.

Lorenzo
Advertisement