Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I was given an EE bond purchased in March of 1992 by my parents, the face value being 5K. I needed the money though bond has not reached maturity yet. I redeemed on Sept. 2, 2000 for $4,134, its value at that time. I now understand I will owe IRS at year end - BUT, what will I owe? Do I owe based on face value, redemption value, or the amount it increases our joint income at the end of the year? Our income is currently about 60K yearly, so this bumps it up to $64,134. HOW IS THE TAX BASED? I DESPERATELY NEED TO HOLD OUT MONEY TO PAY WHATEVER TAX I'VE INCURRED BY CASHING IT! ESPECIALLY SINCE I DIDN'T ASK MY HUSBAND'S ADVICE AND I JUST CAN'T FACE HIS UPSET WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SAY, "HERE IS THE TAX I OWE FOR CASHING MY BOND". Any assistance you can render would be eternally, humbly and most gratefully accepted.

Daisy Davis
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.